Ottley, William Young, 1771-1836, Twelve stories from the life of Christ , Febr. 1796
Twelve stories from the life of Christ / engraved by Thomas Piroli ; from the designs of William Young Ottley.
- Rome : [s.n.], Febr. 1796.
- Physical Description:
- , 12 leaves of plates : ill. ; 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 17Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations are aquatint engravings, printed in sepia. In a Neo-classical style influenced by William Blake and John Flaxman. Cf. Grove Art.
Engraved throughout. All plates, including engraved title page, bear the imprint: "Published as the act directs, Feb. 1st, 1796".
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary marbled wrappers.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes 13 original drawings by Ottley, tipped in to added leaves interleaved with the engravings. Five of the original drawings correspond to engraved illustrations in the present title: The Nativity, Mary Magdalane, The Transfiguration, Dead Christ with the Marys, and The Resurrection. These five drawings have been placed on leaves opposite the corresponding engravings. The subjects of the remaining original drawings are unidentified, although some of them may depict Biblical scenes and the Passion. Most of the drawings are in pen and black ink, with gray wash. Some are also in graphite. Most of the drawings are unfished, to varying degrees.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible -- Illustrations.Jesus Christ -- Art.Jesus Christ -- Passion -- Art.Ottley, William Young, 1771-1836.
- Ink drawings.
Aquatints -- 1796.
- The Annunciation
- The Nativity
- Gloria in excelsis Deo: S. Luke ch. 2, ver. 13-14
- Then the Devil leaveth him and behold angels came and administered unto him: S. Mat. ch. 4, ver. 11
- Mary Magdalane at the feet of Jesus in the Pharasee's house: S. Luke ch. 7, ver. 38
- Christ raising the daughter of Jairus: S. Mark, ch. 5, ver. 40-41
- The Transfiguration: S. Luke, ch. 9, ver. 34
- Christ blessing the children: S. Mat., ch. 19, ver. 14-15
- The raising of the cross
- The taking down from the cross
- Dead Christ with the Marys
- The Resurrection.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.