Scenery of the White Mountains : with sixteen plates, from the drawings of Isaac Sprague / by William Oakes.
- Additional Title(s):
Cover title: Oake's White Mountain scenery
- Boston : Crosby, Nichols, and Company, no. 111 Washington Street, [between 1852 and 1860]
- Physical Description:
- , 4,  pages, 16 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2015 12Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The firm of Crosby, Nichols, and Company was active between 1852 and 1860.
1848 copyright statement appears above imprint on title page.
The plates are signed "B.W. Thayer & Co. Lith., Boston."
Multiple states of both the letterpress and lithographs exist, in various combinations. The first edition was published in 1848 with the imprint of Little & Brown and with lithographs printed by J.H. Bufford; Bufford's plates were successively passed on to B.W. Thayer (a partner from 1840-45 and 1850-51), Samuel and John Chandler, and Frank F. Oakley, each of whom eradicated his predecessor's imprint and added his own in its place. See Tatham, David, "John Henry Bufford," Proceedings of the AAS, Vol. 86, Pt. 1, (1976), p. 59.
BAC: British Art Center copy with the bookplates of J.R. Abbey and the Religious Tract Society Library, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Abbey, J.R. -- BookplateReligious Tract Society (Great Britain) -- Bookplate.White Mountains (N.H. and Me.) -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored.
- 1. The White Mountains, from the Giant's Grave, near the Mount Washington House
- 2. Mount Crawford, near the White Mountains, with the Mt. Crawford House
- 3. The Notch of the White Mountains, with the Willey House
- 4. The Lower Cascade in the Notch of the White Mountains
- 5. The Gate of the Notch of the White Mountains, with the Notch House
- 6. The Falls of the Amonoosuck, near the Mt. Washington House
- 7. The Cliffs of the Falls of the Amonoosuck
- 8. The Franconia with the Lafayette House
- 9. Profile Mountain at Franconia, New Hampshire
- 10. The Profile Rock
- 11. The Basin, in Lincoln, New Hampshire
- 12. The Flume, in Lincoln, New Hampshire
- 13. Nancy's Bridge, near the White Mountains
- 14. Mount Crawford, from the Notch & The Notch of the White Mountains from Mt. Crawford
- 15. The White Mountains from Bethlehem, NH & Mount Washington, from the Summit of Mt. Pleasant & Diagram of the Whole Range of the White Mountains
- 16. Mount Washington, over Tuckerman's Ravine.