Owain Miles and other inedited fragments of ancient English poetry, MDCCCXXXVII 
Owain Miles and other inedited fragments of ancient English poetry.
- Edinburgh : [David Laing], MDCCCXXXVII 
- Physical Description:
-  p. in various pagings : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1203 .O93 1837Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This volume from which these pieces are selected is well known under the name of the 'Auchinleck manuscript' ... It only remains to add, that the impression of this little volume has been limited to thirty-two copies, intended for private distribution by the editors"--Pref.
Spine title: Owain Miles.
Title page engraved by William Penny.
Edited by David Laing and William B.D.D. Turnbull. Cf. Halkett and Laing.
Printed by Ballantyne and Co., Edinburgh.
Each individual work has divisional half-t.p. and separate pagination.
Halkett & Laing, v. 4, p. 286
BM (compact ed.), v. 19, 492
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped green morocco, with gilt edges and marbled endpapers. Title page elaborately illuminated t.p. Marbled end-papers. Inscribed on recto of second free end-paper: WBBD Turnbull, 1838. Unique - The only copy printed upon vellum. The work was edited by & printed at the expense of Mr. David Laing and myself. The title-page of this volume was illuminated by Mr. Penney [i.e. William Penny], being the first attempt in that branch of art.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballantyne and Co. -- Printer.English poetry -- Middle English, 1100-1500.Turnbull, WBBD -- Autograph, 1838.
- Vellum printings (Printing) -- 1837.
- Legend of Owain Miles; in English verse
- Fragment of King Richard; a metrical romance
- Satirical poem on the state of England. Temp. Edwardi II
- On the changes of life; a moral poem
- Desputisoun bitven the bodi and the soule. A poem of the 14th century
- Harrowing of hell. A miracle play.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.