Pyne, W. H. (William Henry), 1769-1843, The costume of Great Britain , 1804 [that is, not before 1819]
- The costume of Great Britain / designed, engraved, and written by W.H. Pyne.
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old Bond Street, by William Bulmer and Co., Cleveland Row, St. James's, 1804 [that is, not before 1819]
- Physical Description:
- , iii,  pages, 60 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .P96 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "There are three editions or issues of this book: first with title dated 1804, but on paper watermarked prior to that year. Second, with a title dated 1808; and thirdly, in the above state, with an 1804 title, but recognizable by the later watermark. The edition of 1808 usually has plain backgrounds; both impressions of the 1804 are more desirable in having coloured backgrounds."--Abbey.
Title page printed on paper watermarked Charles Wise 1819.
Plates dated Jan. 1, 1805.
Publisher's preface dated Jan. 26, 1808.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 430
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), p. 196-197
Colas, R. Costume 2447
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 149
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled green morocco. Bookplate: Sir Harry Niven Lumsden of Auchindoir. Inscribed: Rachel Niven from her affectionate brother Harry Niven Lumsden. Title page printed on paper watermarked Charles Wise 1819. Abbey describes this copy as third issue.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain.Lumsden, Harry Niven -- Pres. insc. to Rachel NivenLumsden, Harry Niven, Sir -- BookplateNiven, Rachel -- Pres. insc. from Harry Niven LumsdenWilliam Bulmer and Co. -- Printer
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.