The builder's companion, and workman's general assistant : demonstrating, after the most easy and practical method, all the principal rules of architecture, from the plan to the ornamental finish, illustrated with a greater number of useful and familiar examples than any work of that kind hitherto published, with clear and ample instructions, annexed to each subject or number, on the same plate ... : also, the figure, description, and use of a new-invented joint-rule ... : the whole correctly engraven on seventy-seven folio copper plates / from the designs of William Pain ...
- London : Printed for the author, and Robert Sayer, opposite Fetter-Lane, Fleet-Street, MDCCLVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 4 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations ; 40 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 98Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Title page printed in black and red.
The plates are numbered "page" 5-81.
"Price twelve shillings, sew'd."--Foot of title page.
A second edition was published in 1762. The plates were nearly all reprinted from the first edition, with the addition of 25 new 'to face' plates, expanding the total number in the second edition to 102.
The foot of the title page includes a list of the "subjects herein."
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, page 1305-1306
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 236.1
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 612
"Books architecture printed for Robert Sayer ..."--Page , first sequence.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original marbled paper covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Building -- Early works to 1800.Carpentry -- Early works to 1800.Joinery -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1758.
YCBA Collections Search
Pain, William, 1730?-1790?, The builder's companion, and workman's general assistant , MDCCLVIII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.