Pain, William, 1730?-1790?, The carpenter's and joiner's repository, or, A new system of lines and proportions for doors, windows, chimnies, cornices & mouldings, for finishing of rooms, &c. , MDCCLXXVIII 
- The carpenter's and joiner's repository, or, A new system of lines and proportions for doors, windows, chimnies, cornices & mouldings, for finishing of rooms, &c. : a great variety of staircases, on a plan entirely new, and easy to be understood : circular circular soffits, shewing and winding, in strait and circular walls, groins, angle brackets, circular and elliptical skylights : and the method of squaring and preparing their circular bars, shop-fronts, &c. / by W. Pain, joiner ; engraved on sisty-nine copper-plates.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Carpenter's and joiner's repository
New system of lines and proportions for doors, windows, chimnies, cornices & mouldings, for finishing of rooms, &c.
- London : Printed for the author, and sold by I. Taylor, at the Bible and Crown, in Holborn, near Chancery-Lane, MDCCLXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
-  p., LXI leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH5603 P35 1778+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations by William Pain.
Probably published in parts between November 1777 and May 1778. Cf. British Architectural Library.
ESTC (RLIN), T96014
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 628
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 2365
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 425.2
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter calf and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Carpentry -- Early works to 1800.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Early works to 1800.Etching -- Specimens -- 1778.Joinery -- Early works to 1800.Taylor, I. -- Publisher.
- Pattern books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.