Palladio, Andrea, 1508-1580, Fabbriche' antiche' , MDCCXXX [1730, i.e. 1735]
Fabbriche' antiche' / disegnate' da Andrea Palladio Vicentino e date in luce' da Riccardo Conte' di Burlington.
- Londra : [publisher not identified], MDCCXXX [1730, i.e. 1735]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : illustrations, plans ; 53 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 99 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 99 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Although dated 1730, the work was probably first issued around 1735."--British Architectural Library.
Engraved throughout; contains 26 plates (16 double-page, 10 full-page).
Printed throughout in bistre ink.
Fowler architectural collection of the Johns Hopkins University, 227
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 669
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 2379
English short title catalogue, T35115
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled Russia. Gift of Richard Burlington to John Boyle, 5th Earl of Orrery. Presentation inscription: "Orrery E Dono Ricardi Conte de Burlington. June 12th 1741." Armorial bookplate: Cork and Orrery.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in gilt tooled red calf. Armorial bookplates: Richard Blackett Beaumont; Charles Viscount Bruce of Amphill.
"The plates engraved by Paul Fourdrinier from copies of Palladio's drawings made by Isaac Ware. Plates of capitals are inscribed I. Ware Delin. The head-piece to the preface was engraved by George Vertue. It and the title-page were designed by Kent. The plates comprise plans, elevations and sections of the Bath of Agrippa, Nero, Vespasian, Titus and Antoninus (Caracalla); seven plates of orders, sections and plans of the Baths of Diocletian and the Baths of Constantine; an unidentified sketch section; two unidentified parts of plans at large; and an alternative plan of part of the Baths of Vespasian."--Harris.
- Subject Terms:
- Ailesbury, Charles Bruce, Earl of, 1682-1747 -- Bookplate.Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Baths -- Italy -- Rome -- Early works to 1800.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Burlington, Richard Boyle, Earl of, 1694-1753 -- Presentation inscription to John Boyle. June 12th, 1741.Orrery, John Boyle, Earl of, 1707-1762 -- Bookplate.Orrery, John Boyle, Earl of, 1707-1762 -- Presentation inscription from Richard Boyle Burlington. June 12th, 1741.Rome -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1735.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.