Palladio, Andrea, 1508-1580, The first book of architecture , 1663
- The first book of architecture / by Andrea Palladio ; translated out of Italian, with an appendix touching doors and windows, by Pr LeMuet ; translated out of French by G.R. ; to which are added designes of floors lately made at Somerset-House, and the framing of houses after the best manner of English building ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Quattro libri dell'architettura. 1o libro. English
- London : Printed by J.M. and sold by G. Richards ... and by Simon Miller ..., 1663.
- Physical Description:
- , 199, , 101-115, , 210-222, , 228,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 P253 1663Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translated from: Quattro libri dell'architettura / Palladio; and from : Divers traictez d'architecture pour l'art de bien bastir / Le Muet.
Illustrated added t.p. engraved by John Chantry.
Erratic paging after p. 198.
Wing (2nd ed.) P205
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. 670
Globe, A. Peter Stent. Vancouver, 1985. p. 155
BAC: Contains ms. notes.
BAC: British Art Center copy contains an extra variant t.p. The book was evidently advertised by Peter Stent without his imprint in 1662. Globe suggests that technical problems of securing or printing the plates held up publication past a projected date of 1662. Imprimatur on verso of t.p. is dated 'Jan. 27, 1662'. Cf. Globe and Harris.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1663.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.