The first book of architecture / by Andrea Palladio ; translated out of Italian ; with an appendix touching doors and windows, by Pr. LeMuet ... ; translated out of French by G. R. ...
- Additional Title(s):
Quattro libri dell'architettura. lo Libro. English
- Second edition : enlarged and corrected.
- London : Printed by J. M. and sold by G. Richards, at the Golden Ball over against Exchange, London: and by Sam. Thomson, at the Bishops Head in Duck-Lane, 1668.
- Physical Description:
- , 32, , 36-159, , 191-198,  p. 218, , p. 220, , p. 226, , p. 230, , p. 234, , 237-239 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 P25 1668Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added engraved t.p.
Numerous errors in paging.
Translated from: Quattro libri dell'architettura / Palladio; and from: Divers traictez d'architecture pour l'art de bien bastir / Le Muet.
Translator's dedication signed: Godfrey Richards.
English short title catalogue, R220416
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), P204A
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. 671
'First book of architecture', translated and published by Godfrey Richards, first appeared in 1663 and was the earliest English version of any part of Palladio's 'Quattro Libri' (1570). Cf. Harris.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Orders -- Early works to 1800.M., J. -- Printer.
- Engravings -- 1668.
YCBA Collections Search
Palladio, Andrea, 1508-1580, The first book of architecture , 1668
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.