Costume caractéristique de France / d'après des desseins faits par un artiste dernièrement revenu du continent ; avec des descriptions appropriées.
- Additional Title(s):
Characteristic costume of France
- Londres : Chez William Fearman, New Bond-Street, 1819.
[London] : B. M'Millan, printer, Bow-Street, Covent-Garden, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 37,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT871 .C67 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "All plates identical with the first edition of 1816, except that the part and plate numbers have been removed and the imprint altered to 'Published for William Fearman's Library, New Bond Street, Jany 1819.' Original engraved title is here used as a frontispiece with the title wording and Peake's signature removed and with the imprint altered to: 'Published for William Fearman, Library, New Bond Street, Jany 1819.' The order of the last three plates is reversed. The signature of R. Havell on plates 5, 6, and 7 is clear in this edition."--Abbey.
Additional letterpress title page in English: The characteristic costume of France : from drawings made on the spot, with appropriate descriptions / by an artist recently returned from the Continent.
Cover title, on publisher's printed label: The characteristic costume of France: with French and English descriptions. Price £2:12:6 in extra boards.
Spine title, on publisher's printed label: French costume.
Aquatints by Robert Havell and Richard Brinsley Peake.
Each plate is accompanied by leaf of letterpress text in French with English translation.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original paper covered boards with publisher's printed title label on front cover with title The characteristic costume of France; with French and English descriptions and with publisher's printed label on spine with title French costume.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 87
Colas, R. Costume, 2297
Prideaux, S. Aquatint engraving, p. 347
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl), Fc4
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- France -- Pictorial works.Fearman, William -- Publisher.France -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
Costume books -- England -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.