A prospect of the most famous parts of the world ... : together with all the provinces, counties, and shires, contained in that large theater of Great Brittaines empire / performed by John Speed.
- London : Printed by John Legatt, for William Humble, and are to be sold at his shop in Popes-head Palace, 1646.
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (, 44 [i.e. 88] pages) : illustrations, 22 maps ; 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 30Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- BEIN: Imperfect: wanting l. 25-6 (Italy); supplied by double map without text, laid in.
Issued with: Speed, John. The theatre of the empire of Great Britaine. London : George Humble, 1627 [i.e. 1646]
Relief shown pictorially.
Though credited to Speed on the title page, the maps are derived from Dutch examples of the period.
The maps are engraved by Abraham Goos, Evert van Hamersveldt Symons, and Dirck Gryp.
All 22 maps are folded and bound at the inner margin. Letterpress text is printed on outer pages of each form. Pages bearing maps are not included in the publisher's pagination.
Signatures: [A]¹ B¹ A-X² X2¹.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, S4882A
English short title catalogue, R218797
Also includes A new and accurat map of the world, 1626, not listed on the title page.
BAC Folio A 2023 30: Bound in full calf. Has bound with it: The theatre of the empire of Great Britaine. London : George Humble, 1650.
- Subject Terms:
- Contents (from title page): Asia
- Roman Empire
- Turkish Empire
- Kingdome of China
- Sommer Ilands.