Gothic architecture decorated : consisting of a large collection of temples, banqueting, summer and green houses, gazebo's, alcoves; faced garden and umbrello'd seats, terminari's, and rustic garden seats, rout houses, and hermitages for summer and winter, obelisks, pyramids, &c. Many of which may be executed with pollards, rude branches and roots of trees. Being a taste entirely new. Likewise designs of the Gothic orders, with their proper ornaments, and rules for drawing them / the whole engraved on twelve copper plates designed by P. Decker.
- Additional Title(s):
Gothic architecture, part the second
- London : Printed for the author, and sold by Henry Parker and Elirabeth [sic] Bakewell, opposite Birchin Lane, Cornhill; H. Piers and Partner, at the Bible and Crown, near Chancery-Lane, in Holborn, 1759.
- Physical Description:
- 2 pts. in 1 v. (,12, , 12 leaves) : chiefly ill. ; 24 x 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA610 .D43 1759 + OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Title page of vol. 2: Gothic architecture, part the second : in forty three designs of paling of various sorts, for parks and clumps of trees, gates, hatches, &c. Likewise doors and windows, with proper heads to them; sashes of different kinds, &c., to which are added, several designs of frets for joiners and cabinet-makers; with frets and frizes for smith's work, brass and iron fenders, borders for marble tables, &c. The whole neatly engraved on twelve copper-plates. From the designs of P. Decker.
Spine title: Gothic architecture.
"Price 4s" at foot of t.p. to pt. 1. "Price 3s" at foot of t.p. to pt. 2.
English short title catalogue, T90191
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge, 1990, 193
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Gothic -- Early works to 1800.Bakewell, Elisabeth -- Publisher.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Decker, Paul -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1759.Parker, Henry -- Publisher.Piers, H. -- Printer.Westropp, Melford Place -- Autograph.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Gothic architecture, decorated
- Gothic architecture, part the second