Phillips, G. F. (Giles Firman), 1780-1867, Principles of effect and colour as applicable to landscape painting , 1833
- Principles of effect and colour as applicable to landscape painting : illustrated by examples for the amateur and professional student in art / by G.F. Phillips.
- London : F.G. Harding, 24, Cornhill, 1833.
- Physical Description:
- 28 p., , 7 leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1340 .P45 1833+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1340 .P45 1833+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates in some copies accompanied by cover sheet. Each plate accompanied by a page of letterpress.
Printed by J. and C. Adlard, Bartholomew Close.
Contains a full page color wheel diagram (hand-colored).
Gilpin to Ruskin, p. 59
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 366
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 206
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 124
BAC: British Art Center has three copies. Copy 1 bound in mottled green cloth, with red leather center label with gilt letters. Ticket pasted inside front cover: R. Ackermann, Repository of Arts, 96, Strand. Copy 2 bound in later three-quarter red morocco and red cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834 -- Bookseller.Color -- Study and teaching.Drawing books -- Specimens.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Harding, F. G. -- Publisher.J. and C. Adlard -- Printer.Landscape painting -- Study and teaching.Landscape painting -- Technique.Painting -- Study and teaching.Painting -- Technique.
- Aquatints -- 1833.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1833
Drawing books -- England -- London -- 1833.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.