IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Proposals for publishing by subscription four prints , [1813?]
Proposals for publishing by subscription four prints : dedicated (by permission) to the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, representing views of the action between the Java and the Constitution.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of title: Action between His Majestry's late ship Java, and the American ship Constitution
- [London] : [Boydell and Co.] : [Colnaghi and Co.], [1813?]
London : Printed by Joyce Gold, 103, Shoe Lane
- Physical Description:
- 1 folded sheet (2 pages) ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA88 .P76 1813+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Prospectus. The four prints were published on January 1, 1814, by Boydell and Colnaghi., "drawn and etch'd by N. Pocock from a sketch by Lieut. Buchanan ; engraved by R. & D. Havell."
"1st. The attempt to board the Constitution. 2d. The Constitution sailing from the fire of the Java to refit. 3d. The position and condition of the Java when striking. 4th. The destruction of the Java. To be engraved in aquatinta, under the direction of, and from paintings by, Mr. Pocock, under the inspection of an officer of the Java, from sketches made immediately after the action. ..."--Page .
"Subscriptions received by Messrs. Boydell and Co., Cheapside; and Messrs. Colnaghi and Co., Charing Cross, London."--Page 2.
Printer's statement from foot of page 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Constitution (Frigate)Great Britain. Royal Navy.Java (Frigate)Print industries and trade -- Great Britain.United States -- History -- War of 1812 -- Naval operations.United States. Navy.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.