Polwhele, Richard, 1760-1838, The history of Cornwall, civil, military, religious, architectural, agricultural, commercial, biographical, and miscellaneous , 1816
- The history of Cornwall, civil, military, religious, architectural, agricultural, commercial, biographical, and miscellaneous : In seven volumes / by the Reverend R. Polwhele, of Polwhele, and Vicar of Manaccan, and of St. Anthony.
- A new edition, corrected and enlarged.
- London : Printed for Law & Whittaker, 13, Ave-Maria Lane, by Michell and Co., Truro, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- 7 v. in 2 : ill., maps, ports. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.C8 P65 1816+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Consists of the original sheets of the author's "History of Cornwall," published in 3 vol., 1803, to which are added 4 works of the same author in their original editions (with separate t.-ps.), with some added material. New t.-ps. bearing date 1816 are prefixed to all the volumes of this edition--Cf. Brit. Mus. Catalogue.
Vol. 3 has supplement by Rev. John Whitaker, with title: A supplement to the first and second books of the History of Cornwall; containing remarks on St. Michael's mount, Penzance, the land's end, and the Sylleh Isles. By the historian of Manchester. Exeter, Printed by Trewman and Son, for Cadell and Davies, London, 1804. 96 p.
Orig. t.-p. v. 4: The civil and military history of Cornwall; with illustrations from Devonshire ... Exeter, printed by Trewman and Son, ... 1806.
Orig. t.-p. v. 5: The language, literature, and literary characters, of Cornwall: with illustrations from Devonshire ... London, printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1806.
Orig. t.-p., v. 6: A Cornish-English vocabulary; a vocabulary of local names, chiefly Saxon; and a provincial glossary ... Truro, printed at the Cornish Press, by J. Tregoning, ... 1808.
Orig. t.-p., v. 7: The history of Cornwall: in respect to its population; and the health, strength, activity ... of its inhabitants; ... Truro, printed at the Cornish Press, by J. Tregoning, ... 1806.
Engravings by John Cary, Thomas Bonnor, John Walker, Samuel JohnI Neele, Henry Hoppner Meyer, and Heinrich Meyer; after Richard Polwhele, Ino Dayman, Hendrik Frans de Cort, James Bourne, Edward Harding, and Walter Tremenheere.
First issued in parts between 1803 and 1808 from the presses of Flindell of Falmouth, Trewman of Exeter and Tregoning of Truro, England. Enlarged and reissued with new titles in 1816 as above, the publisher being changed from Cadell and Davies to Law and Whittaker. Cf. Abbey.
V. I-II printed by Flindell, Printer, Falmouth. V. III Supplement printed by Trewman and Son, High Street, Exeter. V. V printed by G. Sidney, Northumberland Street, Strand. V VI-VII printed by Michell and Co., Truro.
2 geneal. tab. given in "List of prints and pedigrees" at end of v. 7, never printed--Cf. Lowndes.
Edition statement precedes "In seven volumes" on title page.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 103
Boase, G.C. Bibliotheca cornubiensis, v. 2, p. 510
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled dark blue morocco. Bookplate: Leybourne Grance. This copy has the 2 plates in v. 1. that are often missing: Padstow from the Harbour and St. Michaels Mount. Temporary titles and a leaf of dedication were issued while the work was appearing in parts, and cancelled when it was complete, new titles then printed. This copy has the cancelled titles to v. 4-7, in addition to the new ones.
- Subject Terms:
- Cornwall (England : County) -- Description and travel.Cornwall (England : County) -- History.Flindell -- Printer.Grange, Leybourne -- Bookplate.Law and Whittaker -- Publisher.Michell and Co. -- Printer.Sidney, G. -- Printer.Trewman and Son -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- 1816.
Mezzotints -- 1816.
Engravings -- 1816.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.