Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842, The costume of the inhabitants of Russia, 
The costume of the inhabitants of Russia.
- Additional Title(s):
Sketches of the costume of Russia
- London : Published by J. Edington ..., 
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1040 .P67 1810+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, on publisher's engraved label: Sketches of the costume of Russia. Price 1.11.6.
The plates are copies of those by Sir Robert Ker Porter in his Travelling sketches in Russia and Sweden ... 1809. Cf. Hiler.
Colored aquatints by Joseph Constantine Stadler; after Robert Ker Porter.
Date of publication from Hiler.
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 718
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2408
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original brown paper covered boards, with publisher's printed title label.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Russia -- Pictorial works.Edington, J. -- Publisher.Military uniforms -- Russia -- Pictorial works.Porter, Robert Ker, Sir, 1777-1842. Travelling sketches in Russia and Sweden -- Illustrations.Russia -- Armed Forces -- Uniforms -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1810.
- The Chief of the Bashkirs
- A Hackney sledge --Russian boors in their Winter Sledge
- A Gentleman in his winter walking dress
- A Russian trademan
- A Russian tradesman's wife in her gala dress
- A Russian tradesman's wife in her summer dress
- A Russian nurse
- A Russian peasant in his summer dress
- A Russian peasant in her summer dress
- A travelling Russian Boor
- A Bohemian or Gypsy
- A peasant of Finland in his Russian dress
- A Dalecarlion peasant
- A Dalecarlion female peasant
- An Archimandrite in his ordinary habit
- Monks of St Basil --Nuns of St Basil
- An officer of the Donsky Cossacks
- An officer of the Imperial Foot Guards
- A soldier of the Imperial Foot Guards
- A Bashkir trooper
- A regular Cossac --A Kalmuc Horseman
- An Uralsky Cossac
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.