Travelling sketches in Russia and Sweden, during the years 1805, 1806, 1807, 1808 / by Robert Ker Porter ; in two volumes.
- London : Printed for Richard Phillips, Bridge-Street, Blackfriars. By T. Gillet, Crown-Court, Fleet-Street, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD965 .P67 1809+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatints by Joseph Constantine Stadler; after Sir Robert Ker Porter. Under the direction of P.A. Hubert.
A second edition was published by John Stockdale in 1813.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2407
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Kaa25
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 382
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 225, 227, 347
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 13
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half green morocco-style binding and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Russia.Costume -- Sweden.Etching -- Specimens -- 1809.Gillet, T. -- Printer.Phillips, Richard -- Publisher.Russia -- Description and travel.Sweden -- Description and travel.Voyages and travels.
- Travel literature.
Aquatints -- 1809.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1809.
- Contents of the plates: The inside of a Russian post-house
- A view of Elsineur Castle from Hamlet's garden
- The Stone Theatre at St. Petersbourg
- View from the English Quay at St. Petersburgh
- The Place of St. Isaac
- Monks of St. Basil
- Nuns of St. Basil
- A hackney sledge
- Russian boors in their winter sledge
- A Russian tradesman
- A travelling Russian boor
- A gentleman in his winter walking dress
- A Russian nurse
- A regular Cossac
- An Uralsky Cossac
- An officer of the Donsky Cossacs
- A soldier of the Imperial Foot Guards
- An officer of the Imperial Foot Guards
- A view of Moscow
- A Russian tradesmans wife in her gala dress
- A Russian tradesmans wife in her summer dress
- View of the monastery of Divitchy
- An archimandrite in his ordinary habit
- The monastery of Voshrashensky
- Nicons hermitage
- A Russian peasant in his summer dress
- A Russian peasant in her summer dress
- A Bohemian or Gypsey
- Swedish washerwomen
- A Bashkir trooper
- The Chief of the Bashkirs
- A Kalmuc horseman
- A peasant of Finland in his winter dress
- The palace at Stockholm
- Gustavus Vasa
- A mine
- The retreat of Gustavus Vasa
- A Dalecarlion peasant
- A Dalecarlion female peasant
- The Falls of Inthatta.