Grand architectural panorama of London : Regent Street to Westminster Abbey [graphic] / from original drawings made expressly for the work by R. Sandeman, architect ; and executed on wood by G.C. Leighton.
- London : Published by I. Whitelaw, 188, Fleet Street, 1849.
London : Sold by Simpkin Marshall, & Co. Stationers Hall Court; and to had of all booksellers, 1849.
London : Printed by Leightons and Taylor, 19, Lamb's Conduit Street, 1849.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print on 8 sheets : wood engraving ; full image 15 x 677 cm, accordion folded to 15 x 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .L45 1849 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .L45 1849 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Panorama includes place names along the bottom edge. View extends from St. Margaret's Westminster next to Westminster Abbey, to All Souls Langham Place at the north end of Upper Regent Street, via Whitehall, Cockspur Street, Waterloo Place, Lower Regent Street, Regent Street, and Upper Regent Street.
Title page affixed to front pastedown, on publisher's original cloth folder.
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects. New Haven, Ct. : Yale Center for British Art, 1985, 98
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 574
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original brown cloth. Design in gilt on front cover of St Pauls with title lettered above. Paste-on advertisement on back of first fold of panorama printed in blue advertising the Carlton Library. Colored woodcuts.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is uncolored. Bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped brown cloth. Bookseller's label: Sold by W. Grigg, 183, Regent Street.
- Subject Terms:
- Grigg, W. -- Bookseller.Leightons and Taylor -- Printer.London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Whitelaw, I., -- Publisher.
- Panoramas -- England -- London.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1849.
Wood engravings -- 1849.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Leighton, George Cargill, 1826-1895, Grand architectural panorama of London , 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.