Potter, Joseph, approximately 1797-1875, The remains of the ancient monastic architecture of England , MDCCCXLIV 
The remains of the ancient monastic architecture of England / by Joseph Potter, architect.
- Rugeley : John Thomas Walters, MDCCCXLIV 
- Physical Description:
-  leaf, 23 leaves of plates in various numberings : illustrations ; 50 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 21Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Comprises: A prospectus for the complete work,  page of letterpress; ten leaves of plates concerning Tintern Abbey, numbered XI-XX, preceded by an unnumbered section title (also lithographed); eleven plates concerning Buildwas Abbey, numbered II and IX-XVIII, preceded by an unnumbered section title (also lithographed).
Title and imprint from front cover of printed wrappers.
Lithographs printed by Day & Haghe.
Imprint at bottom of cover title: "London. Burns Weale. Oxford. John Henry Parker. Cambridge. Stevenson."
Description based on the Yale Center for British Art copy. Columbia University (Avery Library) records a copy of this title in 4 volumes, with 131 plates (London : J. Weale, [1847-1851]). The YCBA holding may be one of the parts eventually published in the larger work.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary brown half calf and brown cloth. Original printed wrapper for front cover bound in. Armorial bookplate: Henry Drummond.
- Subject Terms:
- Abbey of St. Mary and St. Chad (Buildwas, England)Church architecture -- England.Drummond, Henry -- Bookplate.Monasteries -- England.Tintern Abbey.
- Lithographs -- 1844.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.