The florist, or, An extensive and curious collection of flowers, for the imitation of young ladies, either in drawing, or in needle-work / by A. Heckle.
- Additional Title(s):
Extensive and curious collection of flowers, for the imitation of young ladies, either in drawing, or in needle-work
- [London] : Printed for John Bowles and Son, at the Black Horse, in Cornhill, London, 
- Physical Description:
- , 5 p., 24 leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 x 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK98.2 .H43 1759+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Twenty four engraved plates depicting 80 floral specimens and groups. Also contains directions for coloring and an index of flowers. Some illustrations are printed in outline form for copying.
Date of publication from plates.
"Where may be had, useful and ingenious amusement for young ladies; or, The art of japanning improved and made easy. Being a collection of very elegant designs, in a vast variety of instances, for decorating cabinets, toilets, screen, or other pieces of useful or ornamental furniture. Drawn and engraved by the famous B. Boitard, and other masters. With directions for laying the ground of varnish, arranging the figures, and going through the whole process, till the work is compleated with the last varnish."--T.p., following imprint.
English short title catalogue, N18592
Bridson, G. Plant, animal & anatomical illustration, C243
Bermingham, A. Learning to draw, p. 203-204
Includes index of flowers (p. 5).
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: Ann Cooke, her Drawing Book July ye 6. 1768. In original marbled wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Cooke, Ann -- Provenance, 1768.Decoration and ornament -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Etching -- Specimens -- 1759.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1759.Flowers.Furniture design -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.John Bowles and Son -- Publisher.Needlework -- Patterns -- Early works to 1800.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
Heckel, Augustin, approximately 1690-1770, The florist, or, An extensive and curious collection of flowers, for the imitation of young ladies, either in drawing, or in needle-work , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.