Hints on light and shadow, composition, etc. : as applicable to landscape painting : illustrated by examples / by Samuel Prout, F. S. A., painter in water colours in ordinary to Her Majesty.
- New edition, with additional examples.
- London : M.A. Nattali, 23, Bedford Street, Covent Garden, 1848.
- Physical Description:
- , iv, 16 p.,  leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1342 .P76 1848+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title: Prout's hints on light & shadow.
Descriptive letterpress on page opposite each plate.
Bicknell, P. Gilpin to Ruskin, p. 45
English catalogue of books, v. 1, p. 624
BAC: British Art Center copy incomplete: lacks the corresponding letterpress pages for plates XVII, XVIII, and XIX. Bound in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped green cloth. Armorial bookplate of Henry Drummond, Albury Park, Surrey.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing books -- Specimens.Drummond, Henry -- Bookplate.Landscape painting -- Study and teaching.M. A. Nattali -- Publisher.Painting -- Technique.Perspective -- Technique.Shades and shadows.
- Lithographs -- 1848.
Drawing books -- England -- London -- 1848.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Prout, Samuel, 1783-1852, Hints on light and shadow, composition, etc. , 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.