Titiani Vecelii, Pauli Caliarii, Jacobi Robusti, et Jacobi de Ponte opera selectiora , 1745
- Titiani Vecelii, Pauli Caliarii, Jacobi Robusti, et Jacobi de Ponte opera selectiora / a Joanne Baptista Jackson anglo ligno cœlata et coloribus adumbrata.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Opera selectiora
- Venetiis : Apud Jo. Baptistam Pasquali, 1745.
- Physical Description:
-  leaf,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 61 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsL 224.91 (Folio B)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Includes 1 plate each after Leandro and Francesco Bassano; see Kainen, 29 & 31.
Seventeen paintings are represented. Veronese's "Marriage at Cana" occupies 2 plates, Tintoretto's "Crucifixion" occupies 3, Titian's "Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple" occupies 3, Jacopo Bassano's "Lazarus and Dives" occupies 2, and Tintoretto's "Miracle of St. Mark" occupies 2. In addition to the artists listed in the title, there is 1 plate each after Leandro and Francesco Bassano; see Kainen.
Each plate incorporates the artist's name: J.B. Jackson. All but the 7th include a dedication. Three of the paintings are described as being in the possession of Joseph Smith, British consul at Venice (no. 2, 15, 16). Some of the plates have dates: 1739 (no. 6), 1741 (nos. 2, 9), 1742 (nos. 10, 12, 17).
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 7-8
Kainen, J. Jackson, 16-32
Franklin & Franklin. Color printing, p. 35
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Chiaroscuro woodcuts -- 18th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.