Studies of cottages and rural scenery : drawn and etched in imitation of chalk / by Samuel Prout ; the work will consist of four numbers, to be published monthly, commencing the first of May, 1816 ; and is intended as a companion to the 'Studies of boats and coast scenery', also contained in four numbers by the same artist, just published.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, 101, Strand; and may be had of all the book and printsellers in the United Kingdom. [J. Diggens, Printer, St. Ann's Lane, London.], 1816.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pts : chiefly ill. ; 25 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7562 .P768 1816+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title. Number of part printed above title.
"This work appears to have been issued in four montly parts, each of four plates between May and August 1816, before being published as a complete suite. An advertisement on the final leaf of the 1820 edition of John Cawse's 'Introduction to the art of painting' shows that the work was still being issued in four parts at this late date, at a price of three shillings sixpence per part"--Cf. British Architectural Library.
Illustrations numbered in upper right corner of each plate.
Price on cover: Three shillings + sixpence.
Publisher;s advertisements on wrappers.
British Architectural Library. Early Imprints Collection. Early printed books 1478-1840. London : Bowker-Saur, 1994-, 2639
BAC: British Art Center has parts 1 and 2 only. Parts 3 and 4 missing. Original printed blue paper wrappers. Stitched. Ms. ownership inscriptions of Miss Homes Cone (one dated March 24 1817) on front covers of both parts. Publisher's advertisements inside front and back covers of both parts.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain.Cottages -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Homes, Miss -- Autograph, March 24th, 1817.Landscape drawing, English.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1816.
YCBA Collections Search
Prout, Samuel, 1783-1852, Studies of cottages and rural scenery , 1816
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.