IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Humorous sea-side sketches, 
Humorous sea-side sketches.
- Additional Title(s):
Humorous seaside sketches
- London : Read & Co, 10, Johnson's Court, 
- Physical Description:
- 20 pictures on 2 joined sheets : hand-colored lithographs ; sheets end-to-end 13 x 262 cm, accordion folded to 13 x 15 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1475 .H865 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Depicts twenty humorous incidents at the seaside. Several of the images depict bathing machines, devices popular in the 18th and 19th centuries to allow people to change out of their usual clothes into swimwear.
Date of publication from Abbey.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 224
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 613
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In publisher's original red cloth with printed label on front cover. Publisher's advertisements on back paste down.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Humor.Satire, English.Seashore -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Wit and humor, Pictorial.
- Accordion fold format (Binding)
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1860.
Publishers' advertisements -- 1860.
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.