Observations on the structure of hospitals for the treatment of lunatics, and on the general principles on which the cure of insanity may be most successfully conducted : to which is annexed, an account of the intended establishment of a lunatic asylum at Edibnurgh [sic] : illustrated by five engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Observations on hospitals, for the cure of insanity
- Edinburgh : Printed by James Ballantyne and Co. and sold by Archibald Constable & Co. Edinburgh; and by Constable, Hunger, Park, and Hunter, Booksellers, Ludgate-Hill, London, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 80 p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill., plans ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsRC450.S2 R81 1809+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Caption title: Observations on the structure of hospitals for the treatment of lunatics, &c. by Robert Reid, architect.
Half-title: Observations on hospitals, for the cure of insanity.
Engravings by Kirkwood & Sons; after Robert Reid.
"Observations on the general treatment of lunatics, as a branch of medical police, by Andrew Duncan": p. 13-29.
"Report from the Select Committee of the House of Commons, appointed to inquire into the state of lunatics": p. 31-70.
"An account of the establishment of an asylum for lunatics lately erected near Bristol, by Ed. Long Fox": p. 71-80.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed on front cover: For the Duke of Buccleugh. Has bound with it: Address to the public, respecting the establishment of a lunatic asylum at Edinburgh. Edinburgh, 1806. Plates for this title are bound after the bound with. Building fund solicitation pamphlet,  p., laid in.
- Subject Terms:
- Buccleugh, Duke of -- Provenance.Edinburgh (Scotland) -- Imprints -- Specimens -- 1809.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1809.James Ballantyne and Co. -- Printer.Mental illness -- Treatment -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Psychiatric hospitals -- Scotland.Royal Edinburgh Hospital.
YCBA Collections Search
Reid, Robert, 1774-1856, Observations on the structure of hospitals for the treatment of lunatics, and on the general principles on which the cure of insanity may be most successfully conducted , 1809
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.