Rycharde Rolle hermyte of Hampull in his contemplacyons of the drede and loue of god, [1519?]
- Rycharde Rolle hermyte of Hampull in his contemplacyons of the drede and loue of god with other dyuerse tytles as it sheweth in his table.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Rycharde Rolle hermyte of Hampull in his contemplacyons of the drede and love of God
Contemplations of the dread and love of God.
- Enprynted at London : In Fletestrete in the sygne of the Sonne by me Wynkyn de Worde, [1519?]
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. (woodcuts) ; 19 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBV4817 .R53 1519Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Not in fact by Richard Rolle.
Printer's name and place of publication from colophon; publication date conjectured by STC.
Signatures: Signatures: A-F⁸·⁴.
"The title page woodcut is a monk in a double nimbus with staff (Hodnett 445); on the verso is a full-page woodcut of a hermit in contemplation beset by demons (Hodnett 459). At F4r is a full-page woodcut described by Hodnett (378) as: 'Three rioters on horseback each with three plumes in his hat. A dog, ... falcon ... a castle and a church ... Roadside cross ... A monk seated on the ground ... Three deaths in winding sheets.' On the verso is de Worde's device."--Grolier Club.
STC (2nd ed.), 21260
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 24
Hodnett, E. English woodcuts, 1480-1535, 378, 445, 459
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in 19th-century gilt-tooled black calf. Armorial bookplate of Henry Cunliffe. "On the flyleaf at back is a penciled note in the hand of Cecil Dunn Gardner, indicating that the book was purchased from the book dealer Joseph Lily in 1843. There is another note 'Gardner's Sale (21 June 1880?) no. 1930.' ..."--Grolier Club.
- Subject Terms:
- Asceticism -- History -- Middle Ages, 600-1500 -- Early works to 1800.Cunliffe, Henry -- Bookplate.Dunn Gardner, Cecil -- Provenance.Meditations -- Early works to 1800.
- Woodcuts -- 1519.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.