Memoirs of John Lord de Joinville, grand seneschal of Champagne / written by himself ; containing a history of part of the life of Louis IX, King of France, surnamed Saint Louis, including an account of that king's expedition to Egypt in the year MCCXLVIII ; to which are added, the notes & dissertations of M. Du Cange on the above, together with the dissertations of M. Le baron de la Bastie on the life of St. Louis, M. L'Evesque de la Ravaliere and M. Falconet on the Assassins of Syria, from the 'Memoires de l'Académie de belles lettres et inscriptions de France ; the whole translated by Thomas Johnes, Esq.
- [Hafod, Wales] : At the Hafod press, by James Henderson, 1807.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., maps ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC91.6.J6 A4 1807+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved vignettes on title pages after a drawing by John Britton.
Frontispiece map, v. 2, signed: Neele sculp. Strand. Published Feb. 10th, 1807, by Longman & Co., Paternaster Row.
- Subject Terms:
- Assassins (Ismailites)Crusades -- Seventh, 1248-1280.Engraving -- Speciments -- 1807.Henderson, James -- Publisher.Louis IX, King of France, 1214-1270.
- I. Genealogy of the house of Joinville. Dissertation on the life of St. Louis, written by the Lord de Joinville, by M. le baron de la Bastie. Additions to the above by M. le baron de la Bastie. History of St. Louis by John Lord de Joinville, grand seneschal of Champagne. Notes on the above History, by Charles Du Fresne, sieur Du Cange
- II. Dissertations by B. Du Cange on the History of St. Louis, by John Lord de Joinville. A list of knights who accompanied St. Louis to Palestine, &c. Extracts from such Arabian manuscripts as speak of historical events relative to the reign of St. Louis. Extract from a Turkish manuscript. Explanations relative to the Old man of the mountain, prince of the Asssassins, by M. L'Evesque de la Ravaliere. Dissertation (1-2) on the Assassins, by M. Falconet.