Making faces / by Norman Messenger.
- London ; New York ; Stuttgart : Dorling Kindersley, 
- Physical Description:
- 40 leaves : color illustrations ; 36 x 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 M44 1992+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Elisabeth FairmanAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2018 3786: From the library of Leonard S. Marcus.
After working as an art director with a number of London ad agencies, Norman Messenger began to concentrate full-time on illustration in 1978. His reputation became established with work for books, magazines and design groups. His books for children include include Annabel's House (Winner of the US Redbook Award), Making Faces, Once Upon a Time and The Creation Story. He was a founder member of the Association of Illustrators in Britain. Born and educated in Liverpool, he now lives and works with his artist wife in the Gloucestershire countryside.
Comb-bound leaves attached to illustrated paper over boards with paste-downs. Illustrations of faces are cut into five sections of interchangeable strips, forming an exquisite corpse. Offset printed.
"Starting with eight basic characters, Norman Messenger offers the possibility of making an astonishing variety of different faces in this fascinating contemplation of human uniqueness. By mixing and matching foreheads, eyes, noses, mouths and chins, thousands of individual faces can be created"--Back cover blurb.
- Subject Terms:
- Body image in art.Body image in art.Caricatures and cartoons -- Juvenile literature.Caricatures and cartoons.Exquisite corpse (Game)Exquisite corpse (Game) -- Specimens.Face in art.Face in art.Marcus, Leonard S., 1950- -- Ownership.Toy and movable books -- Specimens.Toy and movable books.
- Toy and movable books.
Toy and movable books -- Specimens -- Juvenile literature.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.