Memoir descriptive of the resources, inhabitants, and hydrography of Sicily and its islands : interspersed with antiquarian and other notices / by Captain William Henry Smyth.
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, MDCCCXXIV 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 291, lxxiii,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded ) : ill., map ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDG863 .S66 1824+ Copy 1 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDG863 .S66 1824+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland-Court.
Plates engraved by William Daniell; map engraved by J. Walker.
"Prideaux says that there is a map and fourteen plates. This is a mistake, based on the List of Plates, which gives the lower of the two views on Number 11 [St. Johns Chapel over the Catacombs of Syracuse] as a separate plate"--Cf. Abbey
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 263
Prideaux, p. 245-5, 352
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy, with some colored illustration. Binder's ticket: Bound by J. Needham, Bookseller, Gloucester.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is uncolored. Presentation ALS from Wm. Crooker to Vice Admiral Sir C. V Penrose, 17 January, 1824, presenting book on behalf of the Lords Commissioner of the Admiralty, tipped in. Inscribed: S.P. Coode. Armorial bookplate: Cork & Orrery. Bound in full calf.
MUDD Edha +824S: Plate facing p. 169 lacking.
- Subject Terms:
- Clowes, William -- Printer.Coode, S. P. -- Autograph.Crooker, Wm. -- Pres. inscr. to Vice Admiral Sir. C. V. Penrose, 17 January 1824.Earl of Cork and Earl of Orrery -- Bookplate.Murray, John -- Publisher.Needham, J. -- Bookbinder.Penrose, C. V., Sir -- Pres. inscr. from Wm. Crooker, 17 January 1824.Sicily (Italy) -- Description and travel.Sicily (Italy) -- Social life and customs.
- Aquatints -- 1824.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
YCBA Collections Search
Smyth, W. H. (William Henry), 1788-1865, Memoir descriptive of the resources, inhabitants, and hydrography of Sicily and its islands , MDCCCXXIV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.