Excursions in Madeira and Porto Santo : during the autumn of 1823, while on his third voyage to Africa / by the late T. Edward Bowdich ... ; to which is added, by Mrs. Bowdich, I. A narrative of the continuance of the voyage to its completion ... II. A description of the English settlements on the river Gambia, III. Appendix: containing zoological and botanical descriptions, and translation from the Arabic ... ; illustrated by sections, views, costumes, and zoological figures.
- Additional Title(s):
Bowditch's Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa
Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa
- London : George B. Whittaker, 1825.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 278 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDP702.M16 B69 1825+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title, from publisher's printed label: Bowdich's Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa.
Lithography by Thomas Mann Baynes and Sarah Bowdich (Mrs. R. Lee); after Sarah Bowditch and T. Edward Bowditch. Printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland Court, London.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 418
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 190
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards, with printed spine label. Imperfect: lacks plate 9 (Costume of Gambia).
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Gambia.Botany -- Madeira Islands -- Madeira.Clowes, William -- Printer.Costume -- Madeira Islands -- Madeira.Gambia -- Description and travel.Hullmandel, C. -- Printer.Madeira (Madeira Islands) -- Description and travel.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate .Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Stamp.Vila de Porto Santo (Madeira Islands) -- Description and travel.Whittaker, G. B. -- Publisher.Zoology -- Gambia.
- Lithographs -- 1825.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
YCBA Collections Search
Bowdich, T. Edward (Thomas Edward), 1791-1824, Excursions in Madeira and Porto Santo , 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.