Excursions in Madeira and Porto Santo : during the autumn of 1823, while on his third voyage to Africa / by the late T. Edward Bowdich ... ; to which is added, by Mrs. Bowdich, I. A narrative of the continuance of the voyage to its completion ... II. A description of the English settlements on the river Gambia, III. Appendix: containing zoological and botanical descriptions, and translation from the Arabic ... ; illustrated by sections, views, costumes, and zoological figures.
- Additional Title(s):
Bowditch's Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa
Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa
- London : George B. Whittaker, 1825.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 278 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDP702.M16 B69 1825+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, from publisher's printed label: Bowdich's Madeira and Porto Santo and Voyage to Africa.
Lithography by Thomas Mann Baynes and Sarah Bowdich (Mrs. R. Lee); after Sarah Bowditch and T. Edward Bowditch. Printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Printed by William Clowes, Northumberland Court, London.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 190
Colas, R. Costume, 418
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards, with printed spine label. Imperfect: lacks plate 9 (Costume of Gambia).
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Gambia.Botany -- Madeira Islands -- Madeira.Clowes, William -- Printer.Costume -- Madeira Islands -- Madeira.Gambia -- Description and travel.Hullmandel, C. -- Printer.Madeira (Madeira Islands) -- Description and travel.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate .Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Stamp.Vila de Porto Santo (Madeira Islands) -- Description and travel.Whittaker, G. B. -- Publisher.Zoology -- Gambia.
- Lithographs -- 1825.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
YCBA Collections Search
Bowdich, T. Edward (Thomas Edward), 1791-1824, Excursions in Madeira and Porto Santo , 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.