California : its past history, its present position, its future prospects : containing a history of the country from its colonization by the Spaniards to the present time : a sketch of its geographical and physical features: and a minute and authentic account of the discovery of the gold region, and the subsequent important proceedings : including a history of the rise, progress, and present condition of the Mormon settlements : with an appendix, containing the official reports made to the government of the United States.
- London : Printed for the proprietors, and sold by all booksellers in town and country, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 270 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF865 .F54 1850Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Zc72 850cd: Imperfect?: plate entitled "Log house in the Sacramento valley" apparently never bound in. Plates and added t.p. are hand colored. Autograph of Anna Gibbons. Original maroon cloth binding with spine stamped in gold.
BEIN Zc72 850cdb copy 1: Variant issue. With added t.p., possibly from earlier version issued in wrappers (cf. Kurutz 243), and an additional 6 plates relating to New Zealand. Frontispiece and added t.p. are hand colored. Autograph of Alfred H. Blizzard?. Original cloth binding with paper label on spine.
BEIN Zc72 850cdb copy 2: Variant issue. With added t.p., possibly from earlier version issued in wrappers (Kurutz 243), and an additional 6 plates relating to New Zealand. Frontispiece and added t.p. are hand colored.
Added engraved color t.p., with vignette, has imprint: London. Printed for the booksellers, 1850.
Attributted to G.A. Fleming by Kurutz.
Other copies exist with the letterpress t.p. dated 1850.
"This book seems to have been a co-operative publishing effort ont he part of the booksellers, and it does not appear in the 'Publisher's Circular' or other trade lists"--Cf. Abbey.
Eberstadt no. IV-64.
Kurutz, G. California gold rush, 242
Howes, W. U.S.iana (2nd ed.), F-178
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 657
Printed by M'Gowan and Co., 16, Great Windmill Street, London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Letterpress t.p. is recorded without imprint date. Armorial bookplates of George Fletcher and Geo. T. Ramsden, M. A. Binder's ticket: Bound by J. Furby, Book-seller, Bridlington.
- Subject Terms:
- Blizzard, Alfred H. -- Autograph. (BEIN)California -- Description and travel.California -- Gold discoveries.California -- History.Fletcher, George -- BookplateFurby, J. -- BinderGibbons, Anna -- Autograph. (BEIN)Gold mines and mining -- California.M'Gowan and Co. -- PrinterMormon Church.Mormons.Ramsden, Geo. T. -- Bookplate
- Hand-colored illustrations.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- .
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.