- [London] : Published 1st. August 1799 by R. Ackermann, 101 Strand, for Dr. Ino. Trusler, 
- Physical Description:
- 6 prints : hand-colored aquatint ; sheets 52 x 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Imprint from prints.
"Coloured aquatints, the engraved and coloured surface being chemically treated so as to render parts transparent when held to the light. An effective illusion of moonlight, firelight, etc. could thus be given, and the idea became extremely popular in the early years of the nineteenth century for use on firescreens, lampshades, and similar articles."--Abbey.
The six prints in this set do not appear to be described in the catalog of 89 transparent prints for sale by Ackermann included at the end of his Instructions for painting transparencies (1800).
Abbey, J.R. Life, 232
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 81
- Transparent prints.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1799.
- The assignation
- The incantation / Rowlandson delin.
- The visit / Rowlandson delin.
- The wedding
- The festival
- The dream / Pernotin delin.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.