The Royal Victoria , [ca. 1840]
- The Royal Victoria : an album of essays, romance, poetry, anecdote, &c. : embellished with twenty-six chalk drawings.
- London : Published by Orlando Hodgson, 111, Fleet Street, [ca. 1840]
- Physical Description:
- 26 pt. in 1 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC968 .R69 1840+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Articles & Chapters
- Semi-weekly publication which ran for a year in about 1840 and was devoted to the polite life of the English middle class. Written especially for the young woman.
Much of the original text attributed to the publisher, Orlando Hodgson.
Originally published in 26 four-page parts, numbered 1-26, printed on colored paper (except plates). All issued separately prior to this reissue with collective t.p.
Orlando Hodgson was located at 111, Fleet Street from 1836-1844. Cf. Brown. London publishers and printers.
Printed by W. Clerk, 202, High Holborn.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in brown cloth. Binder's ticket: Bound by Gotelee, bookseller & printer, Hounslow. Inscribed: H. Bond.
- Subject Terms:
- Bond, H. -- Autograph.Caricature and cartoons -- Social aspects.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Gotelee -- Binder.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hodgson, Orlando -- Publisher.Lithography -- Specimens -- [ca. 1840]
- Periodicals -- England -- 1800-1899.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.