Tour of Paris.
- London : Published by William Sams, 1824.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 26 x 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 14Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings copied from Jean-Henri Marlet's Tableaux de Paris and Richard Brinsley Peake's Characteristic costume. See Abbey.
Abbey surmises that this work was first published in four parts (flour plates each) in 1822. In 1824, the present edition was published, "oblong, containing twenty-one plates, text in double column, engraved title page reading 'Tour of Paris', the five plates with the 1824 imprints being added, having been copied from recent parts of the 'Tableux de Paris', published since 1822 ..."-- Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 113
Colas, R. Costume, 2898
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Fd 19
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blue illustrated boards; backed in quarter blue roan.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Fashion -- France -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.France -- History -- Restoration, 1814-1830.Paris (France) -- Social life and description -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Sams, William -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
- Promenade of Her Serene Highness the Duchess of Berri
- Procession of the Fete, Dieu, Parish Saint Germain L'Auxenois
- A Corps de Garde of the Garde Nationale
- The charcoal porters
- The meridian of the Palais Royal
- The flower market
- La morgue
- The juggler of the Château d'Eau
- Military degradation in the Place Vendôme
- Itinerants on the boulevards
- Parisian street characters
- The Chamber of Deputies
- The catacombs
- Porters and fishwomen, revelling round the statue of Henry IV
- Parisians reading the public prints in the Garden of Tuilleries
- Interior of a swimming school
- Office of nurses
- Dancers on stilts, in the Champs Elysées
- The blind man of the Bridge of Arts
- The voitures of Versailles
- Distribution of wine on the morning of St. Louis.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.