The mirror of architecture, or, The ground-rules of the art of building / exactly laid down by Vincent Scamozzi master-builder of Venice ; reviewed and inlarged [sic] with the addition of a diagonal scale being very useful for dividing the author his given parts into minutes ... ; by Joachim Schuym of Amsterdam ; translated out of Dutch by W.F. ; hereunto is added The description and use of an ordinary joynt-rule fitted with lines for the ready finding the lengths and angles of rafters, ... by John Browne.
- Additional Title(s):
Mirror of architecture.
Ground-rules of the art of building.
Ground rules of the art of building.
Description and use of an ordinary joynt-rule.
Ground-rules of architecture.
Ground rules of architecture.
Idea dell'architettura universale. English
- The third edition : with addition of stair-cases and chimney-pieces.
- London : Printed for W. Fisher, near the Postern-Gate at Tower-Hill, and E. Hurlock on London-bridge, 1676.
- Physical Description:
- , 23, 29, 22 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 S3 1676Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation, by William Fisher, of Vincenzo Scamozzi's 'Idea dell'architettura universale'.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. 804
BAC: British Art Center bound in vellum with ms. notations on inside and outside.
'Description and use of an ordinary joynt-rule' by John Browne. London, 1686. 29 p., has special t.-p.
'Ground-rules of architecture, collected from the best authors and examples' by Sir Henry Wotton, in his Elements of architecture. Now contracted ... London, 1686. 22 p., has special t.-p.
BAC: Contains head- pieces.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Building -- Early works to 1800.Chapman, Edward -- Autograph, 1723.Fisher, W. -- Publisher.Hobbs, John -- Autograph.Hurlock, E. -- Publisher.Jordan, Richard -- Autograph.
- Engravings -- 1676.
YCBA Collections Search
Scamozzi, Vincenzo, 1552-1616, The mirror of architecture, or, The ground-rules of the art of building , 1676
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.