Scott, Walter, 1771-1832, The provincial antiquities and picturesque scenery of Scotland , 1826
The provincial antiquities and picturesque scenery of Scotland : with descriptive illustrations / by Walter Scott.
- London : Published by John and Arthur Arch, Cornhill, and by William Blackwood, Edinburgh, 1826.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. (lii, 208 p.,  leaves,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA770 .S36 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With engraved title pages for both volumes.
The cover titles to parts 1-9 have imprint: Printed for Rodwell and Martin; and sold by J. and A. Arch, Cornhill, London; and William Blackwood, Edinburgh. The imprint on the cover of part 10 is similar to that of the engraved title pages.
Originally published in parts from 1819 to 1826.
Engravings by George Cooke, W. Lizars, J. LeKeux, H. LeKeux, W. Finden, R. Sands, G. Hollis, W. Woolnoth, J. Stewart, E. Goodall, R. Wallis, W. Cooke, W.R. Smith, J.C. Allen, and William Miller; after J. Thomson, E. Blore. J.M.W. Turner, H.W. Williams, A.W. Calcott, A. Nasymth, J. Schetky and A. Geddes.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, p. 1783
Errata slip inserted in pt. 4.
Includes publisher's advertisements.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original printed paper wrappers. Title pages for v. 1 and v. 2 bound in part 10.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Scotland.Blackwood, William -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1826.John & Arthur Arch -- Publisher.Landscapes -- Scotland.Rodwell and Martin -- Publisher.Scotland -- Description and travel.Scotland -- History.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1826.
- Plates: Crichton Castle
- Crichton Castle, interior court
- Crichton Church
- Borthwick Castle
- Monument in Borthwick Church
- Borthwick Castle
- Crichton Castle
- Dalkeith Town
- Hall in Borthwick Castle
- Dalkeith Church
- Edinburgh, High-Street
- Edinburgh, from St. Anthony's Chapel
- Edinburgh, from Corstorphin Hill
- West entrance to Holyrood Chapel
- Edinburgh, from Calton-Hill
- Edinburgh from the Grass-Market
- Craigmillar Castle
- Edinburgh Castle, from Prince's-Street
- North door of Holyrood Chapel
- Edinburgh from the Water of Leith
- Heriot's Hospital
- Town and Harbour of Leith
- Interior of Holyrood Chapel
- Merchiston Tower
- Roslyn Castle
- Interior of Roslyn Chapel
- Exterior of Roslyn Chapel
- Seton Church
- Inverwick Castle
- Dunbar Castle
- Tantallon Castle (2)
- Linlithgow Palace
- Linlithgow Church
- Linlithgow Palace, the hall
- Linlithgow Palace, the court
- Bass Rock
- Fast Castle
- Dirlton Castle
- Dalmeney Church
- Dalmeney Church, south porch
- Dalmeney Church, interior
- Kirkliston Church
- Entrance to Leith Harbour
- Roslyn Chapel
- Roslyn Chapel, east end
- Roslyn Chapel, interior.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.