Recens edita totius Novi Belgii, in America Septentrionali siti / delineatio cura et sumtibus Matthaei Seutteri ; chalcographi Augustani.
- Additional Title(s):
Inset title: Neu Jorck sive Neu Amsterdam
- [1st state]
- [Ausburg] : [Matthaeus Seutter], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving, hand-colored ; 48 x 56 cm., on sheet 52 x 60 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 3hYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:2,330,000].
- Relief shown pictorially.
Derived from the map Belgii Novi, by Joannes Janssonius, first published in 1651.
Scale: Milliaria Germanica communia.
First state with "chalcographi Augustani" in the cartouche; also part of the elaborate cartouche depicts tributes being presented to an English monarch, likely George II.
For the first time, boundaries of Massachusetts, New England, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are marked by printed lines.
A map in the Van der Donck-Jansson-Visscher series of maps of the middle colonies.
Inset view: Neu Jorck sive Neu Amsterdam, [ca. 1673-1674].
The inset includes the Restitutio view of New York, so called to celebrate the restitution of Dutch power in New York in 1673.
Includes index for inset.
Shows place names, lands associated with various Native American tribes, and illustrations, including various wildlife.
Tooley, R.V. Mapping of America, K22
Campbell. New light on the Jansson-Visscher maps of New England, no. 24, plate XVIII
McCorkle, B.B. New England in early printed maps, 730.5
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Indians of North America -- Northeastern States -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America.New England -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.New England.New York (N.Y.) -- Aerial views -- Early works to 1800.New York (State) -- New York.Northeastern States -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Northeastern States.
- Aerial views.
Maps -- Middle Atlantic States -- 1730.
YCBA Collections Search
Seutter, Matthaeus, 1678-1756, Recens edita totius Novi Belgii, in America Septentrionali siti , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.