Illustrations of Shakspeare , 
- Illustrations of Shakspeare : being a selection of scenes, from the works of that great author / engraved on forty plates from designs by Stothard & Smirke.
- London : Publish'd at C. Taylor's No. 10 Holborn, near Castle Yard; and at Mr. Taylor's bookseller, No. 56 Holborn, opposite great Turnstile, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2883 .I45 1787+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved throughout.
Date of publication from plates.
Stothard and Smirke executed these illustrations for the Boydell Shakespeare Galley, a project initiated in 1786 by engraver and publisher John Boydell to capitalize on the renewed interest in William Shakespeare in late 18th century Britain.
The work appeared in ten suites of 4 plates at irregular intervals from Jan 1st 1783 to Aug 1st 1787. Each suite illustrated one play. The first six suites bear the imprint of Charles Taylor, the remaining four of Isaac Taylor, and these two are ostensibly responsible for engraving all by two of the plates.
Originally issued in ten numbers, a collection of plates engraved by Charles Taylor, Isaac Taylor, and William Sharp from drawings by Thomas Stothard, Robert Smirke, and Charles Ryley, to illustrate 10 plays of Shakespeare.
Also issued in 1787 under title: Picturesque beauties of Shakspeare. London : Publish'd at C. Taylor's ... and at Mr. Taylor's bookseller, . Illustrations are identical but bound in reverse order.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half green morocco and marlbed boards.
- Subject Terms:
- English drama -- 18th century -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Illustrations -- Early works to 1800.Taylor, C. -- Publisher.Taylor, Mr. -- Publisher.Verse drama, English -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.