The picturesque beauties of Shakspeare : being a selection of scenes from the works of that great author / engraved under the direction of Charles Taylor ; part the first containing As you like it, Macbeth, Hamlet, The merry wives of Windsor, Much ado about nothing, Twelfth night.
- London : Publish'd at C. Taylor's No. 10 Holborn, near Castle Yark; and at Mr. Taylor's bookseller, No. 56 Holborn, opposite great Turnstile, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2883 P53 1787+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Forty illustrations of scenes from As you like it, Macbeth, Hamlet, Merry wives of Windsor, Much ado about nothing, Twelfth night, Merchant of Venice, Cymbeline, Winter's tale, and Romeo and Juliet. Each plate is individually dated and accompanied by leaf bearing a letterpress extract from the play, four numbered plates to each play, all dated between 1783 and 1787.
Engravings by Charles Taylor, Isaac Taylor, and William Sharp, from drawings by Thomas Stothard, Robert Smirke, and Charles Ryley.
First six suites bear the imprint of Charles Taylor, the remaining four of Isaac Taylor. Second part not finished (cf. Lowndes 2309); title page to the first part repeated here in lieu.
Date of publication from plates.
Also issued in 1787 under title: Illustrations of Shakspeare, being a selection of scenes, from the works of that great author. Engraved on forty plates from design by Stothard & Smirke. London : C. Taylor's and Mr. Taylor's bookseller, . Illustrations are identical but bound in reverse order.
English short title catalogue, T77085
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 23, 467
Lowndes, W.T. Bibliographer's manual of English literature (1871 edition), 2309
BAC: Large paper copy. Bound in quarter vellum with marbled boards. Bookplate: Le Mis. de Biencourt. Bookplate: Ex-libris Biencourt-Poncins. Bookplate: FG Bibliopola F. Gangloff Milhusiensis
- Subject Terms:
- Biencourt, Mis. de -- Bookplate.Biencourt-Poncins -- Bookplate.English drama -- 18th century -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Illustrations -- Early works to 1800.Taylor, C. -- Publisher.Taylor, Mr. -- Publisher.Verse drama, English -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.