Sentiments and similes of William Shakespeare : a classified selection of similes, definitions, descriptions, and other remarkable passages in the plays and poems of Shakespeare / by Henry Noel Humphreys.
- Second edition.
- London : Longmans, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts, MDCCCLVII 
- Physical Description:
- ,100 p. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR2771 .H86 1857Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by Spottiswoode & Co., New-Street-square.
One of eight Victorian titles bound in black papier mâché by commercial firms.--Cf. McLean.
First page of text chromolithographed; gold ruling and initials decorate pages throughout.
T.p. within gold decorated border with lettering in gilt, maroon and black.
McLean, R. Victorian book design, p. 111
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original papier mâché binding. The black ornate frame is set in a border with a red background showing through the strap-work. A terracotta oval medallion relief of Shakespeare's head is inserted in the center of the upper board. A similiar relief of his initials in terracotta is inserted on the back. With gilt edges and yellow endpapers.
- Subject Terms:
- Longmans, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts -- Publisher.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Quotations.Spottiswoode & Co. -- Printer.
- Chromolithographs -- 1857.
Papier-mâché bindings (Binding) -- 1857.
YCBA Collections Search
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Selections. 1857, Sentiments and similes of William Shakespeare , MDCCCLVII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.