Suggestions for the architectural improvement of the western part of London / by Sydney Smirke, F.S.A., F.G.A.
- Additional Title(s):
Suggestions for the architectural improvement of London
- London : Priestley and Weale, 1834.
- Physical Description:
- , 117 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., plan ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA9187.L7 S65 1834+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title: Suggestions for the architectural improvement of London
Aquatints by William Daniell and Joseph Epenetus Coombs; after Sydney Smirke.
Printed by T. Brettell, London.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 3070
Avery Index (2nd ed.), v.17, 246
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original red boards, printed in black. Armorial bookplate of Sir Samuel Wilson. With ALS from Smirke to "Dear Madam," (i.e. Mary Anne Disraeli), 1849 May 26, removed to Artists' letters file. Smirke notes: "Do you think it likely that Mr. Disraeli would do me the favor to admit this small volume into his library. I wrote it when I had more leisure, & perhaps less prudence, than at present, but it is somewhat gratifying to my vanity to find that (however little acknowledged) a number of the suggestions have since been adopted ..."
Design plans for new Parliamentary buildings to be located in Green Park and plans for the old Parlimentary buildings to be turned into judicial courts. Also plans for a Gothic style mausoleum to be built on the Serpentine.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Conservation and restoration -- Great Britain.Architecture -- Great Britain.Brettell, T. -- Printer.City planning -- England -- London -- Designs and plans.Disraeli, Mary Anne, Viscountess Beaconsfield, 1792-1872 -- Pres. insc. from Sydney Smirke.Priestley and Weale -- Publisher.Public buildings -- England -- London -- Designs and plans.Smirke, Sydney, 1798-1877 -- Pres. insc. to Mary Anne Disraeli.Wilson, Samuel, Sir -- Bookplate.
- Aquatints -- 1834.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1834.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Smirke, Sydney, 1798-1877, Suggestions for the architectural improvement of the western part of London , 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.