The ancient costume of Great Britain and Ireland : from the seventh to the sixteenth century, selected from rare specimens in the possession of the author, and accompanied with suitable descriptions and illustrations / by Charles Hamilton Smith, Esq.
- Additional Title(s):
Ancient costume of England
- An improved edition.
- London : Republished by the new proprietor, J. Dowding, bookseller, 82, Newgate Street, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- , vi-viii,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT732 .S65 1815+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatints by John Augustus Atkinson, John Hill, Robert Havell, Daniel Havell, and J. Merigot; after Charles Hamilton Smith.
Plates printed by Colnaghi and Co.
Plates are dated 1811-1815.
With an added engraved title page.
Each plate accompanied by descriptive letterpress.
List of subscribers (2 pages), after preface.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 457
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2754
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary green half sheep and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Costume -- Ireland -- Pictorial works.Dowding, J. -- PublisherEthnic costume -- British Isles.Ethnic costume -- Great Britain -- History.Ethnic costume -- Ireland -- History.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, Charles Hamilton, The ancient costume of Great Britain and Ireland , 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.