Smith, Charles Hamilton, The ancient costume of Great Britain and Ireland , 1815
- The ancient costume of Great Britain and Ireland : from the seventh to the sixteenth century, selected from rare specimens in the possession of the author, and accompanied with suitable descriptions and illustrations / by Charles Hamilton Smith, Esq.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Ancient costume of England
- An improved edition.
- London : Republished by the new proprietor, J. Dowding, bookseller, 82, Newgate Street, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- , vi-viii,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT732 .S65 1815+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatints by John Augustus Atkinson, John Hill, Robert Havell, Daniel Havell, and J. Merigot; after Charles Hamilton Smith.
Plates printed by Colnaghi and Co.
Plates are dated 1811-1815.
With an added engraved title page.
Each plate accompanied by descriptive letterpress.
List of subscribers (2 pages), after preface.
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 457
Colas, R. Costumes, 2754
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary green half sheep and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Costume -- Ireland -- Pictorial works.Dowding, J. -- PublisherEthnic costume -- British Isles.Ethnic costume -- Great Britain -- History.Ethnic costume -- Ireland -- History.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.