Selections of the ancient costume of Great Britain & Ireland : from the seventh to the sixteenth century, out of the collection in the possession of the author / by Charles Hamilton Smith, Esq.
- Additional Title(s):
Antient costume of England
Antient costume of Great Britain and Ireland
- London : Printed by William Bulmer and Co. Shakspeare-Press, for Messrs. Colnaghi and Co., Cockspur Street, 1814 [i.e. 1815?]
- Physical Description:
- , viii, [iv],  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 38-46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 52 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 52 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added engraved title page: Antient costume of England.
Half-title: Ancient costume of Great Britain and Ireland.
Engravings by John Augustus Atkinson, Robert Havell, John Hill, and James Merigot; after Charles Hamilton Smith.
The plates have the publisher's imprint of Colnaghi & Co., with varying dates, ranging from 1811 to 1815.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2755
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 457
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 431
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Lacks half-title. Plates are in the second state. Inscribed: "This copy has the plates 6, 30, 34, 49, reengraved & considered the best edition. JRA". Also inscribed: Wm. Hancock. Copy 2 is a large paper copy with plates in first state. Armorial bookplate with motto: Honi soit qui mal y pense. Bound in dark half morocco and green cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Clothing and dress -- History -- Medieval, 500-1500 -- Pictorial works.Clothing and dress -- Ireland.Colnaghi and Co. -- Publisher.Ethnic costume -- Great Britain.Ethnic costume -- Ireland.Hancock, Wm., -- Autograph.Horse-drawn vehicles -- Pictorial works.Kings and rulers -- Pictorial works.Military uniforms -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Sailing ships -- Pictorial works.Soldiers -- Pictorial works.Tournaments, Medieval -- Pictorial works.William Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1814
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, Charles Hamilton, Selections of the ancient costume of Great Britain & Ireland , 1814 [i.e. 1815?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.