Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, Sixteen views of the lakes in Cumberland and Westmorland , [1807?]
Sixteen views of the lakes in Cumberland and Westmorland / drawn by J. Smith and J. Emes ; engraved by Alken.
- [London] : Printed for W. Clarke, New Bond Street, London, [1807?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.L1 A455 1807+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title.
Aquatint engravings by Samuel Alken and C. Apostool (15 plates by Alken, 1 by Apostool); after John Smith, John Emes, and John Laporte
Imprint from plates: Published as the Act directs May 1, 1795, [dates vary, from April 1, 1794 to May 1, 1795] by W. Clarke, New Bond Street, London.
Date of publication from Abbey. Paper is watermarked 1807.
"These are the plates advertised in the fifth edition (1793) and subsequent editions of West's Guide as 'of a proper size to bind with the Guide', and are frequently found bound in copies of the Guide."--Bicknell.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 186
Bicknell, P. Picturesque scenery of the Lake District, 31
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In original blue paper wrappers with white title label on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Clarke, W. -- Publisher.Cumberland (England) -- Pictorial works.Lake District (England) -- Pictorial works.Lakes -- England -- Pictorial works.West, Thomas, d. 1779. Guide to the lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire.Westmorland (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1807.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.