A specimen of ancient carpentry : consisting of variety of designs for roofs ... : collected by James Smith : to which are added designs of frontispieces to doors, gateways, piers ... : & other useful decorations never before published by Jones ; the whole illustrated with 66 copper plates nearly engraven.
- London : Printed for the authar [sic], & sold at his house, 1736.
- Physical Description:
- , ,  leaves of plates in various pagings : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2840 S6 1736Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Harris, E. British architectural books and writers. 1994. 835
English short title catalogue, T97863
'Designs of frontispieces to doors' has separate t.p. Plates numbered separately.
Harris identifies Jones as William Jones.
Illustrations by J. Carwitham and B[enjamin] Cole; after James Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Decoration and ornament -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Carpentry -- Early works to 1800.Roofs -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, James, writer on carpentry, A specimen of ancient carpentry , 1736
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.