Smith, John Thomas, 1766-1833, Ancient topography of London , 1815
- Ancient topography of London : containing not only views of buildings, which in many instances no longer exist, and for the most part were never before published, but some account of places and customs either unknown, or overlooked by the London historians / by John Thomas Smith.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Antient topography of London embracing specimens of sacred, public and domestic architecture from the earliest period to the time of the Great Fire 1666
Smith's ancient topography of London
- London : Printed by J. M'Creery, Black-Horse-Court; published and sold by the proprietor, John Thomas Smith, No. 4, Chandos-Street, Covent Garden ..., 1815.
- Physical Description:
- , 82 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA677 .S65 1815+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by and after John Thomas Smith. Added engraved title page by Richard Sawyer.
Added engraved title page: Antient topography of London embracing specimens of sacred, public and domestic architecture from the earliest period to the time of the Great Fire 1666. Drawn and etched by John Thomas Smith, intended as an accompaniment to the celebrated works of Stow, Pennant and others. London: Published as the Act directs Octr. 24, 1810, by John Thomas Smith, No. 18, Great May's Buildings, St. Martin's Lane.
Cover title, on publisher's printed label: Smith's ancient topography of London. Price £5. 5s.
Adams, B. London illustrated, 115
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original grey paper boards, with printed title label.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- London -- History.Church architecture -- England -- London.London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- History.M'Creery, J. -- Printer.
- Wood engravings -- 1815.
Engravings -- 1815.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.