Remarks on rural scenery : with twenty etchings of cottages, from nature : and some observations and precepts relative to the pictoresque [sic] / by John Thomas Smith.
- London : June MDCCXCVII. Printed for, and sold by Nathaniel Smith, ancient Printseller at Rembrandt's Head, May's Buildings, St. Martin's Land, and I. T. Smith, at No. 40 Frith Street, Soho, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- 27,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7109 .S65 1797+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by and after John Thomas Smith.
Printed by Joseph Downes, Near Temple Bar, London.
"The central panel of the title-plate is heavily cross-hatched, with the title and imprint standing out in white, and a device of a palette and brushes outlined in the same manner. The central panel is held within a series of ornamental frames, whare are hand-coloured with green, pink and brown washes"--Cf. British Architectural Library.
ESTC (RLIN), T098928
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3081
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 312.1
List of subscribers: P. -. Subscribers include William Blake and John Constable.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled blue-green morocco. Armorial bookplate: John Duke of Bedford.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Cottages -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Downes, Joseph -- PrinterDwellings -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.John, Duke of Bedford -- BookplateSmith, J.T. -- PublisherSmith, Nathaniel -- Publisher
- Engravings -- 1797.
Subscriber's lists -- England -- London -- 1797.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.