Thirty different drafts of Guinea / by William Smith, Surveyor to the Royal African Company of England.
- [England?] : [s.n.], [not before 1727]
- Physical Description:
- 30 leaves (1 folded) : chiefly ill., maps, plans (etchings) ; 28 x 42 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT471.5 .S65 1727+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Comprises maps, views, and plans of English, Dutch and French slave-trading forts; many of the illustrations are accompanied by lengthy captions.
Engraved throughout, by Gray, after William Smith.
BAC: British Art Center copy has an extra leaf preceding the title page with a letterpress list of subscribers to the etchings; the list is dated London, July 13, 1728. Bound in blind-stamped calf binding.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, West -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Coasts -- Africa, West -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Slave trade -- Africa, West -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Subscriber's lists.
Etchings -- 1727.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, William, surveyor, Thirty different drafts of Guinea , [not before 1727]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.