The lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland &c.
- [London : Published as the Act directs ... by W. Clarke New Bond Street, London, 1795]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.L1 A454 1795+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from publisher's (?) cover title stamped in gilt.
Aquatint engravings by Samuel Alken and C. Apostool (15 plates by Alken, 1 by Apostool); after John Smith, John Emes, and John Laporte
Imprint from plates: Published as the Act directs May 1, 1795, [dates vary, from April 1, 1794 to May 1, 1795] by W. Clarke, New Bond Street, London.
Paper is watermarked (Whatman) 1794.
"These are the plates advertised in the fifth edition (1793) and subsequent editions of West's Guide as 'of a proper size to bind with the Guide', and are frequently found bound in copies of the Guide."--Bicknell.
Bicknell, P. Picturesque scenery of the Lake District, 1752-1855, 31
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in green publisher's (?) boards. Title in gilt on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Clarke, W. -- Publisher.Cumberland (England) -- Pictorial works.Lake District (England) -- Pictorial works.Lakes -- England -- Pictorial works.West, Thomas, d. 1779. Guide to the lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire.Westmorland (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- 1795.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.