Speed, John, 1552?-1629, [The theatre of the empire of Great Britaine], [1646?]
[The theatre of the empire of Great Britaine]
- [London] : [William Humble], [1646?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas ( leaves) : 57 maps ; 44 x 56 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 31Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- Description based on the Yale Center for British Art copy.
Skelton, R.A. County atlases of the British Isles, 1579-1850, 16 (notes)
BAC Folio A 2023 31: Bound in contemporary vellum and rolled, presumably for use as a campaigning atlas. Front cover annotated in manuscript: "Thorpe Library, book case I."
Comprises 57 maps from the 1646 edition of Speed's The theatre of the empire of Great Britaine, without letterpress text. Skelton notes that sets such as these were sometimes bound to form a "campaigning atlas" during the English Civil War.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Maps.Ireland -- Maps.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.